Homemade Summer Rolls with Jalapeno Lemon Sauce
- 3 ounces Vietnamese cellophane noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 20~ round rice paper wrappers
- 2 large handfuls of cilantro
- 1 bell pepper sliced into long, thin strips
- 2 avocado sliced into cubes
- 2 handfuls of perilla leaves
- 1 large cucumber in julienne strips
- 2 handfuls of chives
- 2 handfuls of alfalfa sprouts
- 2 handfuls of watercress
- 2 pounds of beef, shrimp, or chicken
Jalapeno Lemon Sauce:
- 5 lemons seeded and juiced
- 2 jalapenos seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
Jalapeno Lemon Sauce Directions:
In a blender, puree the lemon juice, fish sauce, sugar, jalapenos, cilantro, and optional chili paste/garlic until combined. Pour into a small bowl and serve with the summer rolls.
Summer Roll Directions:
Toss the vegetables and meat together, making sure they’re mixed well.
Pour 2 to 3 cups of hot water into a large, shallow bowl. Immerse the rice paper wraps into the hot water on at a time to soften them.
To make the rolls, lay your rice paper wrapper on a flat plate. Add your vegetable mixture and cellophane in the center (be careful not to overstuff!). Fold in the left and right sides of the wrapper forming a roll and tuck the outer edges inside. Repeat the process until you’re finished making all your rolls. Arrange the completed summer rolls on a platter and cover with a damp paper towel. When ready to serve, add the desired amount of sauce on top or inside your summer rolls.